Monday, March 2, 2009

Picking up sticks on Sunday

I was awakened Sunday morning from my peaceful slumber by quite a racket outside. Looking out the window, I noticed there was a state highway truck and what looked to be a crew of private contractors collecting limbs and storm debris from the side of the road. Now I'm greatly appreciative of the fact that the state is taking care of getting rid of all the storm debris, but do they have to do this on a Sunday?

The last I heard, the State and the Country are in pretty dire straits economically and budget money is perpetually coming up short. Does it make sense now, to be paying that crew to work on Sunday? I don't know what the going rate for a state worker or government contractor is paid for work on Sunday, but I'm willing to bet it is at least time-and-a-half, if not double time.

I know, I know, disaster and all. . .lots of stuff to clean up. . .everyone wants it done quickly. . .but hey, I'm perfectly alright with those limbs setting there until Monday if it means it would save a few bucks. I imagine some of that money for the cleanup is coming from federal funds. Now wasn't it just a week or so ago that our congress-critters decided to spend $800 billion that they didn't have? In times like this, do we need to be spending money on overtime for state workers to pick up sticks?

Meh!

No comments:

Post a Comment